Thursday, September 9, 2010

Cute Candle craft

So I ♥ to be crafty. And I decided to share with you one of my crafts that I did. I have been gathering things for a benefit yard sale that I am going to be throwing in the next couple weeks and one of the donations were these very boring glass cylinders. A lot of people use these for weddings, or just as candle holders. And I thought instead of trying to sell them as they were, I would decorate and sell them that way. I think they turned out super cute. I did two for fall, one for christmas, and then just one black, white and red. Now this is my first craft blog, so im not sure how this will turn out, but I hope you like it :D
Okay first you need to get your supplies. Here is a list.
*Scrapbook paper of your choice. You can use one kind, or several different kinds
*Scissors
*Hot glue, two sided tape, or just tape.
*Glass cylinder.
*Ribbon (in some of mine I used crafters rope)
I picked these two colors. One for the background color, and one for the accent color. 

I cut out a strip of the accent color to go on top of the main fabric.
I don't like to measure too much, so what I did was just lay the glass cylinder on top of the paper and cut at the bottom of the glass. This way the paper is the same lenth as the cylinder.

Now with this step you can use tape, two sided tape or hot glue. Remember tho if you use hot glue to never put the hot glue directly on the glass as it can break it. And if you have a hot glue gun that can be adjusted, make sure its not on the highest setting. I use tape. If you use tape its easier to change out paper. If you decide you want to do it over next year or something then it would be best to use tape. So I usually tape the middle first and then tape the sides.
Then bring the rest of the paper around and tape the paper closed. You should not be able to see any of the cylinder on the outside. I do like to often use hot glue for this step, that way the tape wont be visible to guests.

Next...do the same step with the middle piece. You don't have to use another piece, you can use another piece, and you can use several different pieces. Use your imagination on this part. 

Then use some ribbon to tie around. Again, you don't have to do this step, but I think it looks better. In a lot of mine I like to use the thin crafters rope and I think its super cute. Then what I do is I either put a large candle in the cylinder, or I put sand art sand in it and then place a candle on top. Remember with any candle to never walk away from a lit candle, and always make sure to keep an eye on your candle. When these candles are lit they are really nice. These would be great as gifts. You can make baby shower candles, you can make bathroom candles. The possiblities are endless.
Im sorry if this blog isnt great in explaining, and kind of scattered, but this is my first  crafters blog so im still learning. If you have questions please let me know!!



1 comment:

  1. very creative candle idea....i've been doing craft shows for almost 20 years and haven't seen anything like this....good job!

    ReplyDelete